Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Mallige

Come summer, we Mysoreans can feel the fragrance of jasmine or THE MYSORE MALLIGE all over the city. The Devaraja market or DODDA MARKET as it is popularly called will be filled with different types of mallige. February or March is the best season for this fragrant flower whose fragrance you can feel only, I REPEAT only at mysore. Somehow, I feel eventhough this flower is available at other cities like Bangalore, the fragrance is not at strong as the mysore flowers. My main theme of this blog is about MOOGGINA JADE or the plait decorated with this wonderful flowers. If you are a Mysorean, definately you would have enjoyed this moment atleast once in your life time when an young girl in your family would be decorated with the Jasmine flowers on the plait. Sure, even I in my younger days have gone through this wonderful moment and still cherish the moment with a black and white photo. Remember the doll like looking girl is braided with this Jasmine plait, dressed with zari long skirt, with all jewellary on her!! Ah i forgot about the black spot on the cheek to drive the evil sight on her or the dristi bottu. My aunty used to make us sit for long 2 hours and would braid the hair with the flowers permanently for 2 days. Believe me those flowers never used to move a single inch till 2 days and would droop down after 2 days. Eventually, this custom has a strong bondage with summer. Imagine the hot sun throwing his heat all over the body and you carrying atleast 1 1/2 kgs of jasmine flower on your head?? By the end of the second day trust me u feel like stripping the hair because of its heaviness on your head and ah! you are relieved when the plait is removed. But surely you will wait for the next summer to get it done all over again and again. Thats the magic of Mallige!! MYSORE MALLIGE!!!

2 comments:

Kaavya said...

No flower can beat out mysore mallige....
gr8 blog maam!

Lakshmi Bharadwaj said...

Hi Dodamma,
I feel that your blog was simply beautiful! My Mogginna Jade is my pride, and I never failed to plait my hair with flowers when I visited Ajji every year of the summer holidays. It did not matter if I felt uncomfortable, because I loved wearing flowers on my hair so much. I have seen your photos with Moggina Jade, and Amma's as well! I have about five photos of myself with the beautiful Jasmines decorating my plait. Maybe, I have not really grown up after all...you see, I still leave a very long plait in anticipation of my next "Moggina Jade"!!!